Thursday, March 10, 2011

Promoting Sustainability: An Intern’s Perspective

One of my good friends and roommates, Leslie Lewis, is a Public Relations Major and Environmental Studies Minor here at Illinois State University. She is currently an intern at the Office of Sustainability at ISU. I think that taking sustainable actions in our everyday lives is SO important, so I just asked her to share a few words and talk about the office she currently works for.

Kayla: Can you describe what you do for your internship and what your department at ISU is for?
Leslie: I monitor all media relations (Facebook/press releases/news letter) for the department of sustainability. I work on promotions and help organize and plan special events including earth week 2011.

Kayla: What kind of sustainable projects is your office working on?
Leslie: I am currently promoting the campus hertz rental cars - campus recycling/composting - working with the $45,000 sustainability fund which is new to campus this year.

Kayla: What kind of things do you do within the community?
Leslie: I am currently working with the community radio station WGLT to promote the
Good to Go Commuters Challenge week in April; a competition of individuals, teams, or businesses who work to see how sustainable they can be through alternative transportation to work and daily activities. (bike/bus/walk/carpool) http://wglt.org/goodtogo/commuter-challenge/

Kayla: How can students make a sustainable difference in their daily lives?
Leslie: Students can start by recycling, using their vehicles less, walking to class, buying less new and re-purposing old goods, or taking old clothes to Goodwill instead of throwing them away.

Kayla: How has this internship changed your views about the environment?
Leslie: This internship has given me a better understanding of how I can incorporate sustainability into my daily life and help teach others to do so also.

No comments:

Post a Comment