Monday, February 21, 2011

NASCAR: Speeding into Green


As most, if not all of you already know, NASCAR's best race took place yesterday: The Daytona 500. Not that I am a huge NASCAR fan, (because I'm not) but watching parts of the race with my dad (who is), got me thinking about how terrible these are must be for our environment. I did a little research and few things about yesterday's race caught my attention. How is are they planning on/ actually 'going green'? 


                                                                                                                A few things I came across were NASCAR's biggest ideas and accomplishments:
1. Building a more energy efficient car
   - This would help to reduce the amounts of Carbon Dioxide emitted by the engines and fuel during a race. The average race car emits 20 pounds of CO2 for every ONE gallon of fuel used. Is it just me, or would creating a new type of car be the BEST thing Nascar could do in the coming years?


2. Using Ethanol 
   - The use of Ethanol was present in this year's Daytona 500 race! This is great for a few reasons: one being ethanol is 15% of the fuel used in yesterday's race, and two being that this is great for corn farmers and the agriculture industry in general.


These tactics are only a few of the ways NASCAR intends to continue going green.
If you would like to find out more, I posted a few links for your enjoyment!
Sound Clip- Ethanol Running at Daytona 500
Going Solar
Finish Line Flags & Ethanol









For those of you who missed the race, Trevor Bayne is the winner of the 53rd annual Daytona 500!! (He's only 20 years old, too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment