Monday, August 22, 2011

A New Day in Paradise

Where would this world be without agriculture? Scary thought, isn't it? I mean without farming there wouldn't be the obvious things such as food, clothing, and shelter, but more than that, the world would be without some of the most hard working people I have ever met: farmers. Growing up on a family farm outside of Wyanet, Illinois, I have been privileged enough to live the 'good life' as some folks would say.

From a young age, responsibility and hard work have been drilled into my being. It didn't take me long to learn the harder I worked, the more benefits I could reap. Whether it was pruning the apple trees, weeding the garden, feeding the chickens, working cattle, baling hay, riding horses, or any other activity that sprang up on the farm, I learned the more I'd invest in these projects most of the time (not all the time) the more I'd reap during harvest.

I would not trade in one single day of gowing up on the farm. There is something about gathering around the dinner table to a meal that was raised right there in our backyard. My brother, sister, and I have experienced things many kids our age were not able to discover just because they live in urban areas. It is so sad to think people are clueless to where their food comes, or how much work a farmer's job really entails. I remember summer days, where my family and I would literally work from sun up to sun down just to get the job done so at the end of the day we really accomplished something. There was a sense of teamwork and bonding when coming together to finish chores.

I hope, as you follow this blog, throughout the rest of semester, you too will learn something new of the agriculture industry. Whether it is talking with farmers, appreciating what they do, or just thanking a farmer for everything they have done for you, my goal is to bring a new appreciation of the agricultural community. Join me for an exciting journey through the fields and farms of the Midwest!

2 comments:

  1. Great!!! loved hearing the life of a farmer girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really relate to this!! All my family are farmers so it fits right in, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete