Monday, October 25, 2010

The Jack of all Trades

Doug is a 4th generation farmer from Mason County in Illinois. Ever since he was little Doug knew that he someday wanted to farm with his Dad. Their family farm consists of a wide variety of crops keeping them extremely busy throughout the year. According to Doug, he is the “jack of all trades” on the farm. He does a little of everything from servicing the equipment, plowing, driving the auger wagon, combining, hauling grain into the elevator, and whatever else needs to be done on the farm. Doug is currently a sophomore at Illinois Central College where he is majoring in Agribusiness.

Kelsey: Can you tell me a little bit about your farm?
Doug: My dad, uncle, and I are the operators of my family’s farm. We take a great deal of pride in our farm as it has been a part of our family for a long time. We farm corn, soybeans, green beans, popcorn, and pumpkins. Our corn and soybeans are typically taken to a local grain co-op. Our green beans, popcorn, and pumpkins are all specialty crops that we raise in our sandy soil. They require irrigation due to the way the sand dries up so quickly and the extreme heat we have in Central Illinois throughout the summer. Our green beans are raised for Del Monte, popcorn for Pop Weaver, and our pumpkins are for Libby’s, a division of Nestle.

Kelsey: What is your favorite time of the year on the farm?
Doug: Harvest is definitely my favorite time of the year! There is an indescribable type of satisfaction attained as the crops are brought in from the field. Unlike most occupations farmers take a gamble with their family’s income. Every year we put everything into the ground and pray we have high yields, some years we pray for yields of any type. We have no control over the rain, hail, and temperatures that can destroy our crops within seconds.

Kelsey: What is your favorite memory of growing up on the farm?
Doug: My favorite memory of growing up on the farm would have to be working my dad. He has taught me everything I know about agriculture. My dad absolutely loves what he does and there is no one else I would have rather learned the ropes from. I hope someday I can have the same impact on children of my own.

Kelsey: How did you decide you wanted to pursue a career in agriculture?
Doug: Agriculture is the only way of life I have ever known and I can’t imagine doing anything else. I love waking up every morning and knowing that I’m going to be doing something different than the day before. Being outdoors, the daily challenges we face, and feeding families around the world all assure me that the farm is where I belong.

Kelsey: What do you do when you’re not working on the farm?
Doug: I like spending time with my family, girlfriend, and friends. During the Summer I compete in horse shows almost every weekend. Team pinning is my favorite event at the horse shows but I also participate in ranch sorting. This past year I was nationally ranked and placed in the top ten in team pinning and in ranch sorting. My sister and I compete together so it really is a family event and we always have a lot of fun. I have a strong passion for horses and I am typically riding or working with them whenever I get a chance. During the summer I also enjoy pulling my in antique tractor pulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment